I’m back from a (unplanned) summer hiatus to give a short update on the research projects I am engaged in currently.
1. Gender in children’s colouring books: with Dr Vladimir Martinez-Bello at the Universidad de Valencia. We are looking at the representation of gender, the body and physical activity in colouring books “for girls” or “for boys”.
2. Positive Movement Subcultures: with Dr Eimear Enright (Queensland) and Dr Rachel Sandford (Loughborough) I am continuing to write about movement subcultures using an appreciative perspective – to understand what works to (re-)engage and provide positive experiences in movement and physical activity. We have one case study in an LGBTQ dance school for adults, and are seeking further case studies to expand the project.
3. Women First Revisited: I am writing on the conference conversations “in the gaps” – that occurred during questions, breaks and lunch at the one-day conference revisiting Sheila Fletcher’s book Women First on the history of the Bedford Physical Training College, for a book featuring contributions from the conference speakers.
4. South Asian girls in PE: some comparative work on South Asian girls’ experiences of PE following up from my PhD research.
5. Social justice in PETE: an international project examining the teaching of social justice in Physical Education Teacher Education across higher education institutions.
Tagged: current project